Up till now, you have dealt with life with grace and style, learning from the mistakes you’ve made along the way. You’ve raised your children and enjoyed a successful career. Now, though, you face the challenge of a lifetime, one that may have you feeling like you’ve suddenly been tossed in the deep end of the pool. Sometimes, parenting your parents can be an overwhelming task, one that has you struggling to keep your head above water.
In this book, you will find the permission to laugh, to cry, and to make mistakes. You will also find the strength and encouragement to get up and repeat the cycle, all the tools you need to face the new challenge of parenting your parents!
- Empower yourself by putting on the armor of knowledge.
- Find humor in every situation
- Discover the power of laughter and see how it will help you cope with the task of parenting our parents, a task that will be inevitable for most of us.
YOU WILL DISCOVER IN THESE PAGES…
The thought of our parents aging is a frightening one, but this book will teach you how to laugh through the journey.
- Love: You have to love unconditionally, whether or not such love comes back to you.
- Patience: Your patience will be tested on a daily basis, in ways you cannot prepare for.
- Forgiveness: Many of us need to forgive our parents or ask them for forgiveness while there is still time.
- Trust: Trust your instincts and the professionals available to you; be willing to get a second opinion if necessary.
- Respect: We must respect our parents, for without them, we would not be here.
- Dignity: Above all, we must recognize that everyone deserves dignity, and our parents are to be honored and defended, regardless of their age or condition.
- Hope: We all must have hope; the challenges of the future demand it, so we do not sink into despair and give up on those we love.
“Charlotte is one of the most driven, compassionate, and unselfish people I have had the pleasure of knowing for more than twenty years. She always goes out of her way to help others in need. Caring for people and doing things for them is what she does best and her faith in our Lord motivates her daily. She has dreamed of writing this book for many years and now she is sharing her stories with the world” – Shannon Schmidt, Assistant Vice President Lone Star Candle Supply, Inc.
I highly endorse “You Have to Laugh to Keep from Crying – How to Parent Your Parents” to all children of aging parents. Seeing yourself and the pressures you are facing from a humorous viewpoint gives both release from anxiety and insight into personal management. Charlotte has spent time in the trenches learning to cope while holding on to your humor and delivers laughter, instruction, and tenderness as she presents her own story of life with parental Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s – Keitha Story-Stephenson PhD., BlueSky Wellness Center SkyBlue Family Ministry Radio Host of “Feeding the Family-Mind, Body and Spirit”
I have known Charlotte for only six years, but it seems like I have known her forever, simply because she is so willing to share her heart. That’s exactly what she does in her writing as well; she shares her heart completely and beautifully with the reader. Through Charlotte’s stories, I hope you get to know her and thank God for the wonderful lady He has placed in your life. – Diane Schwind, Co-founder of Balanced Families Ministries